12 January 2013

French wine and comfort food


Does the weather effect how you feel.?

A while ago on my post I've been tagged, I mentioned I was a sunshine girl, so as our weather has been awful, with grey skies & rain for weeks, I'm feeling at my lowest. Even if the sky was blue, I'm sure I would  feel better, I need some sun.


As we can't do very much about changing the weather, my other half took over today and did the next best thing for me.


                                                  First some warmth  from our wood burner.


Maybe some Glogg / mulled wine







                                         The wine was  Beaune  from the Bourgogne region




 He  said he would cook dinner and open a nice bottle of wine to drink with it.
Our friends from the Bourgogne ( our daughters mother in law ) brought us some wine from Beaune which we usually save for a special occasion  and seeing me so miserable he opened our gift.

This was how it came gift wrapped with a sommeliers apron on it
Only the French could gift wrap like this.


I bet your wondering what our comfort food was ?

Nothing fancy but just good comfort food  'Toulouse sausages & mashed potatoes.'
 for a cold wet miserable day.




served with a very nice glass of Bourgogne wine. 


And do you know what ?
It did the trick.

What's your comfort food.?

A bientot

Barbara Lilian


10 comments:

  1. I have friends that draw energy from overcast weather, but I am a sunshine girl. This sounds delicious if I could sit by a window so the light could smile on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Barbara, Do you know, I think a lot of people are affected by the weather, with the short days and long winter nights no wonder you feel low. The grey days are endless here in England.
    There is nothing like a good meal and a nice bottle of wine to cheer us up.
    I think my comfort food would have to be something like beef stew and dumplings....straight to the hips....but worth it.
    Just to say, I've noticed the sun is going down a little later each day, so Spring is not too far away.
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, I'm sorry you've got the blah's. :( Yes, vitamin D straight from the sun is so important to the body and our mental health. The next best thing is having a wonderful husband who'll notice it and take care of you. What a good guy you married! A home cooked meal of comfort food and a bottle of wine...it doesn't get much better than that! I think I feel my own case of the blah's coming on.... ;) just kidding. I'm glad you're feeling better. Hang in there!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour Barbara :-)
    First of all I am sending you warm and sunny thoughts from Florida. Hope it helps a little bit.
    I am envious just looking at the wine bottle label... Hautes Côtes de Nuits... one of the best. Lucky you! You may not have the sun but you have the good wine.
    My comfort food is a Quiche lorraine. And my absolute comfort everything is a glass of good French wine....
    Have a lovely week, no matter what.
    Cheers ;-) / xo
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looked like a great way to spend the evening~drinking and eating some wonderful wines and food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand all about the winter blue's. The wine should help take care of that. I think I'll stop by and join you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely husband to make a comforting meal to cheer you up...especially with your wonderful wine to enjoy with it. I must tell you, that I think your wood burner is very pretty. We have snow on the ground and have had dense fog for three days straight...so I know what you mean about needing some sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with KAren..a wonderful husband to cheer you up with all of his offerings..wine and saucisse de Toulouse..hang in there, spring is coming!
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Barbara, thank you so much for your lovely message on Mad Maison. I don't know how I haven't found your blog already as you live in my favourite part of France. We have just booked our summer holiday over there and I tried to persuade my husband to return again but he wanted to see a different area. Maybe next year! I look forward to reading more from you, best wishes, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you! Today I had a lovely crêpe (avec des coquilles, du fromage, pesto et une salade) at our local crêperie, owned by a chef from Lyon. That was most comforting as was hearing the French language...

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you